After weight loss surgery you will need to make changes to your eating patterns. The diet after surgery progresses from a liquid diet to a pureed diet to a soft diet and then a regular diet. This progression is designed to allow your body to heal. It is very important that you follow the diet progression to maximize healing and minimize the risk of complications.
Liquid Diet (3 Weeks):
It includes (1.5-2 liters per day):
- You will start liquid diet from day 1 after surgery for 3 weeks (0-3 weeks).
- Remember to drink very slowly, especially the first few weeks after your surgery, since there's swelling and healing of the stomach and intestine after surgery or you will feel increasing fullness or pressure under your breast bone.
- Low fat low salt soup
- Diluted sugar-free fruit drinks
- Water or mineral water
- Tea (better to be decaffeinated)
- Coffee (better to be decaffeinated)
- Other hot drinks as anise, hibiscus, cinnamon, etc.
- Skimmed milk
- Light carbonated drinks without gases
- Protein supplements (20-25 grams of protein, 3 supplements per day, total of 60-80 grams of protein per day)
- Low fat liquid yogurt