Is Weight Loss Surgery right for me?
Answers to the following questions may help you decide whether weight loss surgery is right for you or not.
- Are you well informed about the surgery and treatment effects?
- Are you aware of the risks and benefits of surgery?
- Are you ready to lose weight and improve his or her health?
- Are you aware of how life may change after the surgery?
- Are you committed to lifelong healthy eating and physical activity, medical follow-up, and the need to take extra vitamins and minerals?
Am I a Candidate?
- You must be at least 18 years of age (however, it can be done at younger age depending on their awareness). If you are over 65 years old, you must be referred by your doctor and be in good health, since surgery is higher risk in patients over 60 years old even with testing before surgery.
- Your body mass index (BMI) is greater than 40 kg/m2.
- Your BMI is greater than 30 kg/m2 and you have a serious obesity-related health problem, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, sleep apnea or degenerative joint disease.
- You have taken serious attempts to lose weight and only had short term effect.
- You do not drink alcohol in excess.
- You have no serious disease that may have caused your obesity, such as steroid-secreting tumors.
- Have no serious untreated, underlying psychiatric disorders, or current issues with substance abuse, or narcotic dependency.
- Be medically healthy enough to tolerate major surgery.
- You are not extremely limited in activity. You must be able to perform aerobic and anaerobic exercise as with any weight loss program.
Subscribe to Dr. Mohamed El Masry YouTube Channel