Before any questions that come to mind as a result of browsing the Internet, you should know the questions that concern you and the questions that concern your surgeon you trust. Being a well-informed patient is good for you and good for your doctor. Here are some of the questions you should ask before deciding on a weight loss surgeon:
- Am I a candidate for weight loss surgery?
- How would I benefit from weight loss?
- What types of weight loss surgery procedures have you performed?
- Can you perform this surgery laparoscopically?
- Can I be considered a candidate for surgery even though I have one or more associated health conditions related to my obesity?
- Which weight loss procedure is best for me? Why? What are the risks involved?
- What is the length of my anticipated hospital stay?
- How long will it be before I can return to pre-surgery levels of activity?
- How will my eating habits change?
- What is the cost of weight loss surgery?
- What is the typical excess weight loss and improvement of associated health conditions for your other patients?
- What information can you give me to help family and friends better understand this surgery?
- Who will be responsible for my follow-up during and after hospital stay (you or your assistants)?
- How can I maintain my lost weight?